One of my favorite sitcoms from the 90’s was Home Improvement, with Tim “The Toolman” Taylor. The star of the show, Tim Allen, was always fixing up his house, adding mods to his tools, and hosted a home improvement show with his trusty side kick Al.
More often than not, Tim would end up going over budget and usually he would make a huge mistake that would cost the job.
Tim was known for his “manly” grunt and his love of power tools… More Power!
That makes for hilarious TV sitcoms but not to practical for the real world. Most of us want to have a good handle on how much a home improvement project is going to cost and try to stay on budget.
Whether you are thinking about upgrading your home for your own benefit or getting your home ready to sell having an estimate of popular home improvement costs can come in handy.
Below is an infographic to help you gauge how much the most common home improvement projects cost approximately.
The True Cost Of Home Improvement Infographic
This infographic provided courtesy of: Home Advisors
Approximate Home Improvement Project Costs
Additions and Remodeling
- Install A Shower – $3,165
- Install A Bathtub – $2,896
- Bathroom Remodel – $9,313
- Install A Faucet – $242
- Install Cabinets – $4,560
- Reface Cabinets – $6,688
- Install Countertops – $2,667
- Refinish Cabinets – $2,564
- Kitchen Remodel – $20,474
- Install Flooring – $2,852
Lawn And Garden
- Trim or Remove Trees and Shrubs – $667
- Sprinkler Repair – $227
- Mow and Maintain a Lawn – $160
- Remove Leaves – $313
- Sprinkler System Maintanence – $81
- Install Sod – $1,735
- Repair Deck – $1,422
- Seal or Waterproof Deck – $789
- Install Sprinkler System – $2,457
- Build A Deck – $6,915
- Install Landscaping – $3,195
- Install Patio or Pathway – $3,010
- Repair a Boiler – $348
- Repair a Furnace – $268
- Install a Furnace – $3,921
- Clean Ducts and Vents – $339
- Install an A/C Unit – $5,234
- Repair an A/C Unit – $315
- Repair a Roof – $676
- Install a Roof – $6,868
- Clean a Roof – $410
- Install Holiday Lighting – $378
- Hire a Roof Inspector – $223
Doors and Window
- Install Windows – $4,759
- Replace Window Glass – $250
- Install Weather Stripping – $245
- Clean Windows – $206
- Install Garage Door – $1,063
- Repair a Garage Door – $213
- Install a Door – $867
- Install a Screen – $276
- Repair a Door – $221
- Paint Home Exterior – $2,594
- Paint Home Interior – $1,669
- Install Water Heater – $943
- Install New Plumbing Pipes – $1,058
- Install a Faucet – $242
- Repair a Clogged Drain – $200
- Repair a Water Heater – $501
- Install a Sump Pump – $1,062
- Install a Septic Tank – $4,610
- Hire a Plumber – $299
- Install Ceiling Fan – $242
- Install Electrical Wiring – $1,285
- Hire an Electrician – $322
- Install Lighting Fixture – $439
- Install a Generator – $3,225
Market Ready Plus Program
With this program you can borrow equity against your home with 0% interest to make minor updates and repairs to your home to get it ready for sale.
Sometimes all it takes is new paint and carpet to make a house shine.
There are some stipulations and restrictions to this program.
How it works:
- First, The Madrona Group real estate team will explain to you how the Market Ready Plus+ program can help maximize the salability and value your home and property
- We need to make sure that you have 15% Net Equity in your home.
- Then, The Madrona Group will recommend enhancements in order to get your home and property ready to go on the market.
- Next, sign a 6 month listing agreement with The Madrona Group and complete the application for enhancement budget.
- The Madrona Group will submit your application for enhancement budget.
- Once your budget is approved, it’s off to the vendor selection and vendor approval.
- The Madrona Group will assist you in the recommendation of vendors and the submission of information for vendor and enhancement approval.
- Once approved, it’s time for the vendors to go to work. The best part – no money out of your pocket is required! John L. Scott will pay the vendors directly once the work is completed.
- Your home is now Market Ready and listed for sale.
- John L. Scott will collect payment for the vendor enhancement services on the day of settlement with no interest or fees charged to you.
Examples Of What You Can Enhance:
- Minor Plumbing
- Minor Electrical
You Can Watch The Video Here: https://www.themadronagroup.com/use-home-equity-to-get-ready-for-sale-john-l-scott-market-ready-plus/
If you are in the market to do some home improvements I think it is a good idea to do some research to get an idea of what you should budget.
This infographic, provided by Home Advisors, is just a gauge. However, it should be useful in planning what project you want to take on when getting ready to sell or after you buy your next Puget Sound area home.